Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Pikes Peak via the Barr Trail (Redemption!)

Enough bike riding!  It was time to lace up the hiking boots and hit the trail.  So, I decided this last weekend was time for my first 14er of the season. The winter snows have held on for far longer than normal throughout the high country, with the exception of the front range.  So, I decided that my target would be Pikes Peak.

For those familiar, there are two standard ways to get to the top of "America's Mountain" The first, is via the Barr Trail.  A trail cut almost 90 years ago by Fred Barr from 1914 to 1921. It is a popular 12.6-mile trail that climbs 7,300 feet from Manitou Springs to the top of Pikes Peak.  The second is via a smaller trail that extends from the backside Crags campground, through the "Devils Playground" to the top.

About 7 years ago, I tried to go up via the Barr trail.  I was hopelessly naive, and WAYYYY out of my league.  I quickly became exhausted, and quit after only 3 miles..... Until Sunday, that failure had always left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I arrived at the trailhead at 5:00 AM, and hit the trail at 5:09.  I made good time, and was treated to a very cool sunrise.  There was an eery cloudy fog layer that shrouded the city of Colorado Springs.









Soon after sunrise, I got my first good look at my quarry.


I made pretty good time, and I arrived at Barr Camp by 9:00


After Barr Camp, that's when it got tough. The grade got consistently steeper.  While it wasn't a big deal at first, the toughness of the Barr trail is that it NEVER lets up.  It maintains an average 14-20% grade over the course of 6 miles after Barr camp, in altitudes between 10,000 and 14,000 feet.  Trust me, you will discover what kind of shape you are in.






Here is your author on a high ridge - the city of Colorado Springs well below.











These were a group of people I met on the trail.  From the left are Angie, Jim and his wife Lorie.













Once above treeline, we found this little marmot.


















Once you get up high, you start seeing some amazing rock formations




 It's hard to really get a sense of scale, but this formation is literally 300-400-- feet tall
Finally at 3:14 PM we summited 
  

Okay!!  That's 1 down, and 9 more14ers to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment